The British Board of Agrément and Robust Details Limited have joined forces to form a joint venture called Constructive Details Limited. This new company will provide an accredited thermal bridging scheme to meet the requirements of Approved Document L1A (dwellings, section 5.12) and L2A (non-dwellings, section 5.7).
Constructive Details Limited intended role is to provide the construction industry with a range of technical solutions to meet the linear thermal bridging requirements contained in Building Regulations Part L. Through the use of ‘Constructive Details’, users can be fully confident that published ψ-values will be widely accepted and will meet the requirements of building control bodies. The two partners will contribute to the joint venture as follows::
Experience from Part E Robust Details
Existing administration infrastructure
The stakeholder groups of both organisations include product manufacturers, designers, energy assessors, building control bodies, specialised contracts and builders. Therefore, all the sectors of the construction industry with an interest in reliable ψ-values will be able to input into the further development of the scheme.
The main features of the scheme are:
- On-line 'handbook' of Constructive Details, including junction ψ-value(s), key design and construction details and checklists
- risk based assessment of robustness including site validation to access the buildability of a junction
The benefits of the scheme include:
- the use of reliable and beneficial ψ-value(s) of junctions to be used in SAP and SBEM calculations
- fulfilling Part L requirements for both the dwelling and non-dwelling market
- the consequent use of lower levels of conventional insulation